Who We Are
Become a KSTI Supporter
Donate to KSTI
Canadians For Safe Technology
Current Correspondence with Health Unit
Symptoms to Watch For
What You Can Do
Scientific Papers Showing Effects From EMF Exposure
Click Here For More Research
What about MENTAL HEALTH?
What Do Authorities Say?
Organizations Calling For Stricter Limits
Doctors Speak Out
Health Canada's Safety Code 6
Toronto Prudent Avoidance Policy
Information Package For Doctors
In The News
Things to Think About
Cell Tower Concerns
Tell Us Your Story
Petition Document for Printing
June 18, 2015 KSTI School Board Update
Kawartha Safe Technology Initiative
(Scroll to bottom of Page to Sign)
Click here to Print and gather signatures...
TO KAWARTHA PINE RIDGE (KPR) and PETERBOROUGH VICTORIA NORTHUMBERLAND CLARINGTON CATHOLIC (PVNCC)
DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD TRUSTEES
WE RESPECTFULLY REQUEST
our elected School Trustees to:
WRITE TO HEALTH CANADA TO INFORM THEM
of the serious concerns and objections to
Safety Code 6 and the use of Wi-Fi in our schools, received from informed parents who have
been voicing concerns
consistently for the past 4 years.
ASK HEALTH CANADA
to clearly explain the scientific, legal and moral rationale for why it is safe and appropriate to allow students, without express parental consent, and teachers, to be saturated continually with a Class 2B Possible Carcinogen, and particularly in light of new evidence suggesting it may be considered a Class 2A Probable Carcinogen.
TAKE INTERIM PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES NOW
by ensuring that current hardwired connections remain intact; AND by proactively installing on/off switches on wireless access points such that Wi-Fi is used only when required, thus minimizing students’ and teachers’ cumulative exposure to
microwave radiation. These measures would apply until such time as Health Canada justifies the current SC6 standard with convincing and independently verified evidence (i.e. without the involvement of conflicted/vested interests), and/or issues a final decision regarding Safety Code 6 which is more protective of public health. This is also consistent with the recommendation of the Canadian Teachers’ Federation.
- Health Canada recently announced plans to consult further with Canadians prior to finalizing Safety Code 6. This is a prime opportunity for our School Board to inform Health Canada of long-standing parental concerns and objections to Wi-Fi in schools based on an outdated Safety Code 6 standard, as well as to satisfy itself about stated safety concerns.
- This Board has relied primarily on Safety Code 6 to justify the safety of wireless technology in schools; yet Safety Code 6 is a ‘guideline’ only, based solely on thermal effects of radiofrequency radiation. Voluminous research links wireless radiation exposure, at levels thousands of times lower than Safety Code 6, to serious biological health effects, such as cancer, DNA damage, and reproductive disorders. As such, mounting numbers of scientists, doctors, governments,
organizations, and parents are calling for a precautionary approach to the use of Wi-Fi in schools.
- The Royal Society of Canada’s recent review of Safety Code 6 reaffirms already known thermal effects of radiofrequency radiation, yet merely calls for “aggressive research” into the possible link between radiofrequency radiation and biological effects, such as cancer. More research is not needed to start taking precautions now.
- There is an agreed upon recognition that children are most susceptible to harm from toxic substances; and that the long-term effects of wireless radiation exposure on children have not been sufficiently studied.
- In 2011, the World Health Organization declared all forms of radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation, including Wi-Fi, as a Class 2B ‘possible carcinogen’. Foremost experts, such as Dr. Anthony Miller, declare that the latest research shows it could now be considered a Class 2A ‘probable carcinogen’.
- Health Canada has failed to take into account the clear scientific bias between telecom industry-sponsored scientific studies which conclude ‘no health effects’, versus independent scientific studies which conclude numerous negative health effects of exposure to wireless radiation.
- There are documented concerns about Wi-Fi from Canadian teacher organizations (like ETFO and OECTA) and most recently, the Canadian Teachers’ Federation, representing 200,000 teachers across Canada, which recommends basing Safety Code 6 exposure thresholds upon both thermal and biological effects of exposure to Wi-Fi, and calls for the prudent use of Wi-Fi by limiting consistent exposure in schools by turning off wireless access points when not in use.
WE, THE UNDERSIGNED CITIZENS, AND/OR PARENTS of children in the KPR and PVNCC School Board Districts, value your undeniable concern for the welfare of school children.
In this context, please exercise a moral duty as Trustees to communicate with Health Canada on our behalf at this critical time, AND choose to take interim precautionary measures (i.e. maintain hardwired connections and install on/off switches on WAPs,) until such time as Health Canada can justify why current Safety Code 6 levels are safe, or, until SC6 is made more protective of children’s health, as noted above.
WE, THE UNDERSIGNED CITIZENS, AND/OR PARENTS of children in the KPR and PVNCC School Board Districts, value your undeniable concern for the welfare of school children. In this context, please exercise a moral duty as Trustees to communicate with Health Canada on our behalf at this critical time, AND choose to take interim precautionary measures (i.e. maintain hardwired connections and install on/off switches on WAPs,) until such time as Health Canada can justify why current Safety Code 6 levels are safe, or, until SC6 is made more protective of children’s health, as noted above. (NAME)
KPR (Public Board) or PVNCC (Catholic Board) taxpayer?
Create a free website